Monday, December 24, 2018





T’WAS THE WEEK BEFORE CHRISTMAS: an Ode to the Dar
This last week, we welcomed the majestic Polish tall ship Dar Młodzieży to San Francisco. I adapted the famous poem and had the honor to read it to the crew at the welcoming ceremony this Wednesday. Later we presented the poem to the Captain to great fanfare. Here is the text:
T’was the Week before Christmas, And all through the town, 
San Francisco was quiet, There was nothing going down.
The harbor was ready, the welcome prepared  
In hopes that the Dar Młodzieży would soon be there
The young ladies were snuggled all warm in their beds
While visions of Polish sailors danced in their heads.
And the Mayor in her kerchief and the Governor in his cap,
They were all ready to listen to some fine Polish rap.
Then out of the Bay, I heard such a clatter
I sprang from my office to see what was the matter.
The sunshine on the breast of the new fallen rain
Gave a luster to the Pier 15 still waiting in vain
When, what to my wondering eyes should await
But a magnificent vessel passing the Golden Gate
With a distinguished Ship Master and a crew without par
I knew in a moment—it must be the Dar
The ship, it was splendid, from its stern to its bow
It navigated through the dense fog – I still don’t know how
Its deck was immaculate, it’s sails all unfurled
I couldn’t imagine, it had just crossed the world
The students and sailors, all happy and gay
They had arrived for 3 fun days in San Francisco Bay
They were all dressed in fur, from their head to their feet
As it was colder here than the coldest Warsaw street
Then as I drew in my hand, and was turning around,
Up to the deck, the Ship Master came with a bound
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head
Soon gave me to know, I had nothing to dread
His uniform was impressive, his stature immense.
And he said with authority: “Let the festivities commence”
The chefs brought the pierogi, the szynka and ziemnaki
The food was so tasty – how could I be so lucky!
And then the Master gave a toast, as he got up from the table:
“Wesolych Swiat to all, and to all: “Smacznego!”
All present were joyful, so full of good cheer
There could only be one reason: the mighty Dar is here!

WHO CAN APPLY FOR DACA NOW, AND WHO CAN TRAVEL OUTSIDE THE U.S. AND HOW?

  WHO CAN APPLY FOR DACA NOW, AND WHO CAN TRAVEL OUTSIDE THE U.S. AND HOW? New DHS Policy On Initial DACA Applications, Advance Parole (Ri...